This event has passed
Join the statewide search for aquatic invasive species!
Snapshot Day is a statewide, one-day event connecting volunteers, water lovers, and local groups in a search for aquatic invasive species (AIS). You can help protect Wisconsin’s rivers, lakes, and wetlands from these invasive plants and animals that negatively impact habitat, wildlife, recreation and health. This event is coordinated in partnership with UW-Madison Division of Extension, River Alliance of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, local partners, and YOU!
Volunteers will look for invasive species at critical monitoring sites, and potential invasive species will be verified and cataloged with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources to guide species control and conservation management plans. No experience is necessary and training is provided virtually prior to the event.
This is event is recommended for ages 8 and up; minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Check out our story map from 2022!
An Overview of Snapshot Day
This handbook provides an overview of what to expect when participating as a Snapshot Day Volunteer!
Virtual Volunteer Training
A virtual volunteer training will take place on Friday, August 11th from noon-1pm. Although not required, the training will give volunteers background information on the history of Snapshot Day, as well as an overview of monitoring protocols and species identification. You can register for the training here.
Schedule – Day Of
8:30 AM – 9:00 AM Sign in at your Snapshot Day location and receive monitoring site assignments.
9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Brief training tailored to your monitoring sites.
9:30 AM – 11:30 AM Search for aquatic invasive species at monitoring sites.
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM Return to you Snapshot Day location to report your finds!
*Times may vary by location
You will choose the location where you would like to participate when you register. You will be contacted by your Site Leader with specific details prior to the event.
- Arkdale – Adams County (Petenwell County Park)
- Blanchardville – Lafayette County (Yellowstone State Park)
- Eau Claire – Eau Claire County (Riverview Park North Pavilion)
- Elkhorn – Walworth County (Walworth County Government Center)
- Ellsworth – Pierce County (Summit Hill Park)
- Fort Atkinson – Jefferson County (Fort Atkinson Public Boat Launch)
- Green Bay – Brown County (Pamperin Park)
- Janesville – Rock County (Kiwanis Pond Park Shelter)
- Kewaunee – Kewaunee County (Selner Park)
- Lake Tomahawk – Oneida County (Lake Tomahawk boat landing) – EVENT HELD AUGUST 18
- Luck – Polk County (Cafe Wren)
- Madison – Dane County (Warner Park)
- Manitowish Waters – Vilas County (Rest Lake Pavillion)
- Manitowoc – Manitowoc County (Lower Henry Schuette Park – Manitowoc River Access)
- Merrill – Lincoln County (Prairie Trails Park)
- Mountain – Oconto County (Riverview Townhall)
- Mukwonago – Waukesha County (Miniwaukan Park)
- Phelps – Vilas County (Lakefront Pines Park)
- Racine – Racine County (Island Park)
- Shawano – Shawano County (Huckleberry Harbor)
- Sheboygan – Sheboygan County (Maywood Environmental Park)
- Trempealeau – Trempealeau County (Central Park)
- Wascott – Douglas County (Whitefish Lake public boat landing)
- Wausau – Marathon County (Bluegill Bay County Park)
- West Bend – Washington County (Sandy Knoll County Park)
Register here: https://forms.gle/D1rRbDSUVKXpdXoF8
This event has passed