This event has passed
- » Aquatic Invasive Species Snapshot Day 2021
Join the statewide search for aquatic invasive species!
Snapshot Day is a statewide, one-day event connecting volunteers, water lovers, and local groups in a search for aquatic invasive species (AIS). You can help protect Wisconsin’s rivers, lakes, and wetlands from these invasive plants and animals that negatively impact habitat, wildlife, recreation and health. This event is coordinated in partnership with UW-Madison Division of Extension, River Alliance of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, local partners, and YOU!
Volunteers will look for invasive species at critical monitoring sites, and potential invasive species will be verified and cataloged with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources to guide species control and conservation management plans. No experience is necessary and training is provided virtually prior to the event.
This is event is recommended for ages 8 and up; minors must be accompanied by an adult.
An Overview of Snapshot Day
This video provides an overview what to expect when participating as a Snapshot Day Volunteer!
Virtual Volunteer Training
A Virtual Volunteer Training is scheduled for August 12th from 12:00PM – 1:00 PM. Registered volunteers will receive an invitation and link to participate in this training.
The virtual volunteer training will be recorded and made available for registered volunteers unable to participate on August 12th.
8:30 AM – 9:00 AM Sign in at your Snapshot Day location and receive monitoring site assignments.
9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Brief training tailored to your monitoring sites.
9:30 AM – 11:30 AM Search for aquatic invasive species at monitoring sites.
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM Return to you Snapshot Day location to report your finds!
*Times may vary by location
You will choose the location where you would like to participate when you register. You will be contacted by your Site Leader with specific details prior to the event.
- Ashland – Ashland/Bayfield Counties
- Green Bay – Brown County
- Stockbridge – Calumet County
- Lodi – Columbia County
- Madison – Dane County
- Burnett – Dodge County
- Baileys Harbor – Door County
- Menomonie – Dunn County
- Campbellsport – Fond du Lac County
- Crandon – Forest County
- Jefferson – Jefferson County
- La Crosse – La Crosse County
- Harrison Hills, Gleason – Lincoln County
- Manitowoc – Manitowoc County
- Milwaukee – Milwaukee County
- Mountain – Oconto County
- Rhinelander – Oneida County
- Ellsworth – Pierce County
- Osceola – Polk County
- Plain – Sauk County
- Sheboygan – Sheboygan County
- Eagle River – Vilas County
- Masks and social distancing are not required
- Unvaccinated individuals are strongly encouraged to wear a face covering, both indoors and outdoors
- Unvaccinated individuals are strongly encouraged to practice social distancing while indoors
- Carpooling to sites allowed outside household groups for vaccinated individuals and unvaccinated individuals wearing a face covering
- Please stay home if you are feeling ill the day of the event
- Please stay home if you have had close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19, 14 days prior to event (unvaccinated individuals only)
*Required Covid-19 precautions may vary by event location
Resources for Volunteers
This event has passed